Civil Litigation Lawyer Cambridge - When a business goes through financial difficulties, it is critical to choose the correct team to assist your business through the essential processes. These can include business restructurings, insolvencies and bankruptcies. Our Business Restructuring and Insolvency Team has a wealth of experience to help you handle these situations. Our lawyers are uniquely positioned to provide recommendation and representation, leading to strategic, timely and effective solutions.
We work with business enterprises within industries like for example airline, automotive, communications, biomedical, construction, entertainment, funeral, financial services, insurance, healthcare, manufacturing, marketing, mining, steel, retail, technology, real estate and natural resources. Our lawyers can help you with the difficulties of cross-border proceedings administered under either Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code or the Canada Companies' Creditors Arrangement ("CCAA"). We have extensive knowledge with multi-national and domestic business restructurings and reorganizations, whether court-supervised or informal. Insolvency and bankruptcy restructuring legislation within the United States and Canada have a similar debtor-in-possession focus; nonetheless, the laws of the two jurisdictions are different enough to require individuals involved in cross-border procedures to be knowledgeable regarding both jurisdictions. In recent years our lawyers have advised stakeholders and intermediaries in many of the largest restructurings and insolvencies under the CCAA, the Winding-Up and Restructuring Act, and the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act ("BIA").
Access to the required experts may be able to help tip the scales in your favour of outcomes which are positive throughout insolvency or business restructuring. We are able to draw on the experience of our skilled members across our international firms in the many legal areas handling business reorganizations. Our firm has professionals in banking and securitization, mergers and acquisitions, labour and employment, public and private equity, intellectual property and real property, and governmental relations. In cases of insolvency needing advocacy before appellate and trial courts, our team provides expert litigators.
Our services to a wide range of stakeholders include the following:
1. We advise financially challenged companies on restructuring alternatives and options like for example directing and initiating formal restructuring procedures under the CCAA and the BIA.
2. In relation to companies in financial distress, we advise board members and the special/independent committees of public and private corporations.
3. In relation to insolvent business debtors, we advise in the context of cross-border restructuring proceedings, to non-regulated and institutional lenders, members of and agents to operational, term, asset-based and second-lien lenders, lending syndicates, distressed debt investors, trust indenture trustees, bondholders, ad hoc and formal noteholders committees, and private equity and hedge fund investors.
4. In cases being administered under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code related to cross-border and Canadian restructuring proceedings, we advise the formal and ad-hoc creditors committees.
5. We advise secured creditors about the enforcement of their security, privately and through court-supervised processes and the protections of their interests and rights in insolvency proceedings.
6. We can help trustees through bankruptcy, liquidators, monitors, receivers, interim receivers, construction lien trustees and other court-appointed officers in CCAA proceedings. Additionally, we can make proposals under the BIA, consisting of bankruptcies and receiverships.
7. In relation to insolvent or defaulting debtors, we advise equipment vendors and lessors, contracting third parties, suppliers, and commercial landlords in insolvency and restructuring proceedings and realizations.
8. We can help the purchasers who are businesses or distressed assets in cases administered under the CCAA and BIA, from the trustees, private or court-appointed receivers.
9. We help financial advisors, investment bankers, and other consultants relating to their engagement in insolvency procedures.
10. We provide counsel on various litigation issues arising in the context of business restructuring, bankruptcy, and insolvency cases.
11.We can prosecute and defend in preference actions and litigating actions. These may be for the fraudulent conveyance of assets or the acquiring of urgent relief to protect and preserve assets from dissipation, like for instance injunctions, mareva injunctions, and anton pillar orders.
Click to Download the pdf